Creating an itinerary for a website involves many factors. Here's a
comprehensive guide on how to plan and execute this task effectively.
take many shapes and are a broad description of content
covering lists, trips and trails.
Creating an Impactful Itinerary Experience
Itineraries are not just about listing places. They are a blend of experiences
designed to cater to the interests of the visitors. To create an impactful
- Focus on the overall experience rather than individual places. The sum of
the places should result in a memorable journey.
- Adopt a thematic approach, such as a road trip, family weekend, or nature
and outdoors, to make the itinerary more engaging.
- Provide itineraries as blueprints that users can customize based on their
- Use photos and imagery to communicate the essence of the itinerary.
Crafting Stories with Itineraries
Compelling storytelling is key to an engaging itinerary. Here are some
- Narration can be used to convey the personal experiences associated with
- The main content should focus on the itinerary's journey, not just the
description of places.
- Create compelling visitation experiences by highlighting unique
attractions or experiences.
The itinerary editor has an AI tool to assist content creators with adding
narrative to their itineraries.
Turning Content into Action
Ensure your itinerary contains actionable information, including:
- Maps to show distances and relative locations, helping users make informed
- Contact information such as address, phone number, and websites to enable
users to act on their interest.
Provide detailed self-guided itineraries
When creating a resource for self-guided trips, consider:
- Alternative options: Visitors should have options for accommodation and
eateries. Account for availability and pricing factors.
- Flexibility: Allow trip extensions by suggesting optional activities.
Provide rest stops for long drives.
- Opening hours: Include these for each location so visitors can plan their
- Directions: Incorporate navigation options. Allow visitors to click on a
location for directions.
- Access Information: Include details about accessing each location, like
carpark availability for a national park.
- Nearby Attractions: Include options for attractions close to their current
location. This encourages spontaneous visits and adds flexibility to their
- Mobile-Friendly Content: Given the likelihood of users accessing the
itinerary while traveling, ensure the content is easy to navigate and consume
on mobile devices.
Designing Useful Itineraries
The usefulness of an itinerary enhances its value to visitors. To make your
- Personalize: Suggest parks for kids, coffee shops for a quick breakfast,
and key services to cater to individual needs.
Setting Objective Measures
Identify what you want to achieve with your itinerary. Is it to increase onsite
engagement? Lead to more product clicks? Increase visitor numbers to specific
locations? These goals should shape your design objectives and dictate your